Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Expedition plan for Stitches

Following Janice's lead, as I do in so many things, I'm mapping out a plan for my four days at Stitches West. You've heard of Stitches, right? The big knitting conference? Starts tomorrow, right here in my home town? Yeah, I thought so.

Of course we've been preparing for months now -- we signed up for classes in October, bought our homework supplies and did our swatches (you *are* done, right?). We printed the marketplace map & circled our favorites. And of course the local knitting guild hand-crafted Sheepy Shirts just for the occasion. Mine's pink!

Four sheepy shirts

And now we are Down To It! Just 24 hours left until the excitement begins. My Stitches West 2009 plan includes:

Thursday night: Market Preview! Starts at 5, but I'll be late, coming straight from work. I'm excited that my newly minted knitting husband and our out-of-town guest, Ms Mel of Stick Chick Knits, will also be perusing the market with me. We're headed to late dinner at Tomatina when the market closes at 8.

Friday: Classes! My first is an all-day event: "Spinning Cotton for Knitting" with Eileen Hallman - something I've never tried! I wonder if they sell used charkhas at Stitches? In the evening, I'm supporting the Husband Hobby by eating delicious Cajun food and knitting through his jazz gig at the Gumbo Jumbo in San Jose. (I am *not* responsible for their tragic web site. Food's good,though!) Music starts at 9 pm.

Saturday: Being helpful! I'm working in the the Fiber Fiend booth #832 all morning. In the afternoon, I'm off to "Beyond Basic Buttons (and other excuses for playing with yarn)" with Christine Bylsma.

Sunday: Creativity! My classes wrap up Sunday morning with "Designing Embroiedery on Knitting" with the prolific creative genius of embellishment, Nicky Epstein. In the afternoon I get to see my beloved sis-in-law, who has been extra busy with family caregiving this last month and deserves some yarn therapy to restore the soul. We'll be in the market from 11:30 until close.

My class list is lighter than usual, and I'm feeling sort of unsettled, like I'm missing something. I'm especially wondering why I didn't sign up for that Danish Skrå-trøjer class. Two whole days of Beth! What was I thinking, turning that down??

I guess I'll have to fill the void with extra shopping! It's all about the smaller vendors and getting to touch that beautiful yarn in person. Mmmmm, yarn. I tried to find vendors I wanted to see that weren't on Janice's list... but she's pretty much got it covered (plus links to the maps, the $2 off coupon, really, a whole Stitches Survival Guide. go have a look!).

Hope to see you at the show!

4 Comments:

Blogger alce said...

I'm just going to the market, but I hope I run into you!

February 25, 2009 6:58 PM  
Blogger Lía said...

Have fun!!

February 26, 2009 12:52 AM  
Blogger Ronni said...

I can't make it this year so have enough fun for two ok?

February 26, 2009 2:03 AM  
Blogger SpinalCat said...

I'll see you Saturday since you'll be in class all day Friday. Yarndogs and Fiber Fiend are neighbors!

February 26, 2009 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home