Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The January That Was

Hi knitters,

It's time for one of those summary posts where I jot down notes about what happened over the last month, since I didn't blog each event as it happened. Don't worry -- it's a summary, so it won't take long!


Jan 4: Saw The Arabian Nights at Berkeley Rep on a double date with my brother & sis-in-law. Fabulous stories, inventively, dancingly staged, with a bleak reminder of how many of those stories took place in Baghdad. It slew me.


Jan 6 and 7: Had a birthday and decided to ditch choir rehearsal so I could attend the first Knitting Meetup of the year and lots of new members showed up, like these two:




Jan 8: Saw Beowlf: 1,000 Years of Baggage on its final Bay Area performance. Loved the dancing girls, the Dragon and poor unaware Beowulf. The on-stage orchestra was fabulous, though I thought the sound mix was not quite right. Wish everyone in our group had liked it as much as I did.

Jan 10: Had our first spin-in of 2009 and ate our fair share of Appleflappen to placate the Alpine goddess Perchta, who comes in the dark of the year to inspect your spindle, to make sure all your flax has been spun off. Took some photos to represent our 2008 spinning output, in case Perchta needs extra proof. Love you, spinners!

Spinnity Spinners Flappenmann

Jan 8- 13: Worked on a larger sized version of The Fiber Fiend's Corsica sweater - I've posted a lot of notes at ravelry, if you are curious. Here's a sleeve -- and I think even the photo showing how soft & snuggly this sweater in Rowan Cocoon will be:

Big Corsica sleeve in progress


Jan 19: You already know about the Sheepy Shirts we made for Knitspiration knitting guild, from my previous post. I finally finished painting the extra shirts about two weeks after the guild night. Here are the four shirts I painted - one for me, one for my mom, and two are surprise gifts:


Four sheepy shirts

(Don't worry, Lisa... I don't have a photo of your shirt, but it *is* black.)

After that, I think work must have intervened. I can't remember any cool events to report on, so I'll close with a sneak peak at February....

Feb 1: While the rest of the nation ate nachos and watched the Steelers win their sixth Superbowl... I was here:



(see those white sheep waaaay in the background?) looking at this:



That's a pretty good month, eh?

6 Comments:

Blogger Lía said...

Wow! what a month! I love, love the bird photo ;D
I've finally bought the California Lonely Planet Guide...I think I'll have a lot of questions to ask you in a month or so...just kidding! Seriously, I really hope we will be able to visit you, we're falling in love with your state.
Besos,
Lía

February 05, 2009 7:55 AM  
Blogger Bill Walker said...

APPLE! FLAPPEN!

February 05, 2009 7:57 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That is a great month! We saw Arabian Nights at the rep, too and absolutely loved it.

February 05, 2009 8:43 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Ok, I can't wait to see it. But the green is really nice too, you did a great job!

February 05, 2009 9:19 AM  
Blogger Emy said...

I swear, I think the shirts are the thing that will break me down and finally make me join the guild. If I can make shirt, I totally want to sign up. :O

(My verification word is "ateommus", which sounds like something I do with carrots and pita sometimes...ate hummus. Heh)

February 05, 2009 2:49 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Wait, is January over?!

Look at all that spinning output--happily I have a little something in that pile. That photo just may motivate me to take the plying head for a spin today.

February 08, 2009 7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home