Thursday, September 10, 2009

Scarves & BSJ's

Hi Knitters,

Hey, is August over already? It's getting sort of chilly around the house and I'm starting to change into yoga pants instead of shorts when I get home from work. (Yes, like Mr. Rogers, I have indoor and outdoor clothing.)

The end of August was my deadline for a pair of Baby Surprise Jacekts I am knitting. What was it Douglas Adams said? "I love deadlines, I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

So it's true - and predictably the deadline whooshed by last week and my two sweaters are not totally done. Boy BSJ is nearly there - as the photo demonstrates. There's just a bit of cuffery, I-cord and buttons left. Girl BSJ is only a little bit behind, with about 2/3 of the I-cord bind off and the shoulder seams left plus the same cuffery and buttons.

Both are knit in Socks That Rock Mediumweight - Star Sapphire for the Boy and Quilla for the Girl. The I-cord edging on both is Colinette Jitterbug in Copperbeach and the buttons are as yet fictional.

The twins they are supposed to clothe are now scheduled to arrive next Monday - about 2 weeks earlier than I planned for them to arrive. Guess what I'm knitting the rest of this week??

[missing a photo of the Girl BSJ - watch this space]

I'm thinking of nominating the the BSJ as The Perfect Knitting Project for an All-Day Meeting, as soon as someone invents an award for that. I think it will win because it's all garter stitch with like 4 rows where you have to pay attention to anything other than the two marked increase / decrease spots. You can drink in a lot of projected Power Point slides while knitting these puppies.

Truly, I got started on these two little sweaters because of the all-day meetings. I decided that knitting at work could be excused if I was knitting *for* work, so I latched onto knitting twin baby gifts in solidarity with two newer knitters in the office who are knitting up Big Bad Baby Blankets for our collegue's impending twins. I think the ruse / tie-in worked perfectly, since several people asked how the knitting was going in follow up phone calls after our meet-a-thon.

And helping the newer knitters is turning out to be a big boost to my "non-work" knitting progress as well. Last night, one of the two blanket knitters came over to learn about retrieving dropped stitches, weaving in ends, and "blocking" your knitting. So mysterious, that blocking.

Nothing like an audience to help get things done, I always say. Showing my work buddy how to block knits got me to wash up the Texture Argyle Vest in progress to check the fit, the "bag" part of the Buddy Bag, my Chai Herringbone Rib scarf, and a lace alpaca scarf in progress. The scarves are both lacy and served to demonstrate pinning out lace to open the pattern. The other two items just got patted into shape & left to dry. A good lesson, no?

Bill took photos of the two scarves this morning - the finished one clocking in at 74" long and the work-in-progress a puny 8". I'm thrilled with the results of the blocking - both scarves look fabulous. But a run rate of 8" of scarf produced from 8 grams of alpaca predicts a very short scarf.

This one isn't "due" until Christmas, I ordered a second skein of Golden Crown Suri Alpaca from Windy Valley Musk Ox this evening. I sure hope the new skein will match - I have pretty good hope that it will & if it doesn't, at least the colors will be in two balanced halves.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Wait. Is August over?? lol
Nice knits!

September 10, 2009 4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear you are knitting at work again and have some newbies to coach. Mom

October 03, 2009 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home