Saturday, February 26, 2011

A gift from Stitches West 2011


2011 Stitches West: Tools
Originally uploaded by spinnity
Hi Knitters,

Went to Stitches last week - saw so, so many friends, took two good classes, bought bunches of books, and received a very thoughtful gift. Have a look at the photos on Flickr to see the detailed captions & notes on what I got and learned.

[list of photos coming in a sec]

Best surprise of all was the new ball winder that Bill secretively bought with the help of many advisers on the show floor Sunday. Anyone who already owns the standard blue-and-white plastic ball winder knows its limitations. Mine has been in use 20 years now, and tends to skip a few gears, making rather sketchy looking yarn cakes. The new ball winder is much sturdier, rests better on the dresser where I have it mounted, and makes a lovely cake.

I've employed it already to cake up one of my three hanks of handspun, so I can start swatching for a garter stitch sweater based on the Elkhart pattern and color-coordinated Kauni I got from the Ruhama booth. Thanks to everyone who helped make this purchase, especially to seltsame, for very sound advice on the choice. I guess it takes a village to buy a ball winder!

2 Comments:

Blogger Marie Richardson, Teen Services Librarian said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 27, 2011 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Sherri ~ daintytime said...

One of these days I want to visit your studio and bring my unraveled cashmere sweaters to ply. It was really nice meeting you Mary at Dorothy's rest.

October 25, 2012 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home